Facilitator: Sharon Syrette
Throughout the decades, the ladies of the Auxiliary raised money through bake sales, raffles, musical evenings and catering – they also did the laundry in their own homes. Over a million volunteer hours have been dedicated to the Auxiliary members — a virtual “who’s who” of women in Mission including Perry Cleven, Eleanor Lobb, Dorothy Pohoda, Doris Jacobs, Lillian Dudfield, Rhona Jacobsen, Louise Hughes, Betty Dandy, Ethel Hooge and Val Hundert.
This program records the stories of members and celebrates the 112th Anniversary of this dedicated group of Mission Volunteers.
“From the pages of history: On April 9, 1920, a group of ladies met and formed the Mission Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, with Emma Houlder as the first president. With $150 raised from a bazaar, they rented a two-storey house on the corner of Third and Birch, and opened the first public hospital in Mission on May 15th, 1920. By June of 1925, the community had raised enough money to open the Mission Memorial Hospital as a living memorial to the men (and women) of Mission who died in WW1. In 1965, the hospital moved to its present location on Hurd Street.”
Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 noon
Fee: $7.00 Member – Non-Member $10.00
Dates: April 10, 2013* cancelled*
Location: 32444 Seventh Avenue, Mission, BC V2V 2B5