At the age of 18, Lang Sands began his career as a newspaper reporter in Chilliwack for the “British Columbian”. Soon after he went to work for the “Chilliwack Progress”, which was owned by Senator J. D. Taylor, who also published the “British Columbian”. Sands thus began a 40-year career in journalism.
Sands worked for the “Progress” from 1921-1926, and then for the “British Columbian” again from 1928-1934. For the next four years, Sands worked for the North American Life Assurance Co., as its New Westminster and Fraser Valley District Manager, and in 1938 he returned to the newspaper business, becoming the owner of the “Abbotsford News”.
Over the next seven years, Sands controlled the “Abbotsford News”, and organized a group of businessmen from Mission to buy “The Fraser Valley Record”, a newspaper that he owned outright by 1948. That year, he sold the “Abbotsford News” to Cecil Hacker
While Sands and his wife raised two sons, David and Patrick, Sands contributed to the civic life of Mission. He served on the Chamber of Commerce, as well as holding the office of president of the Mission City and District. He was a member of the Royal Arch Masons of Chilliwack since 1921.
Lang Sands left his newspaper career at 61, having sold the “Record” to the “Liverpool Daily Post and Echo” in England, but with the understanding that he would remain as editor and manager until his retirement in 1964.
Source: Mission City Record, Mary 20, 1970